Skip to main content

Potholes, damaged roads or footpaths

Skip to contents of guide

We are responsible for the repair of potholes and defects to keep roads, pavements and public rights of way in a serviceable and safe condition.

Our inspectors investigate all reports and assess them against the investigatory criteria from our Highway Inspection Policy. Where repairs are required, the most urgent defects are repaired first. Other defects will be recorded for consideration as part of wider maintenance programmes, some defects will be passed to utility companies if the issue is with their manhole covers, or apparatus.

If the issue is an emergency (risk to life or property), please call 01202 123 123 or 0800 506 050 if it is out of hours.

If you have been hurt and/or have had property damaged and wish to make an insurance claim against us, please click check our Making an insurance claim against us page.

Overhanging vegetation

If bushes or shrubs from a private property are obstructing the pavement, road or public right of way, you can report this to us.

Unacceptable overhanging vegetation is where trees, shrubs or other greenery reduce the widths of roads, pavements, cycleways or paths and/or hang below 2.3m over a pavement or cycleway, below 3.6m over a bridleway, or 5.3m over a road.

Rights of way

Public rights of way are highways which the public have the right to pass and repass. If you come across an issue with a public right of way, you can use the online form on this page to report it to us.

How to report an issue

Use our online form to report potholes, damaged roads, footpaths, bridleways or byways.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?