Skip to main content

Downsizing your council home

The transfer enabling scheme supports BCP Home tenants who either find their current home too large to manage or have been affected by a reduction in Housing Benefit due to under occupying the property.

The scheme also supports those who are over 60 that are currently living in a one-bedroom general needs property and may be interested in moving to one of our sheltered housing/Independent Senior Living schemes.

We will be happy to visit you in your home to guide you through the process. We will plan your transfer with you and make sure that full support is given for your individual needs and that it goes ahead as smoothly as possible.

Support is given for:

  • the Home Choice application
  • monitoring the application and bidding process
  • planning the transfer

Once a property of your choice is allocated to you, we will:

  • arrange the removal company (all removal costs will be paid)
  • support you with informing the utility companies
  • help with change of circumstances to Housing Benefit if applicable

For more information, please complete our online downsizing enquiry form.

Alternatively, you can contact us by telephone on 01202 817 220 or 0800 028 1870.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?