Skip to main content

Transferring your council home tenancy to someone else

You cannot usually pass your council home tenancy to another person unless the tenant passes away.

Following a relationship breakdown, we usually need a court order to state which partner should be awarded the property.

Successions (when a tenant passes away)

Succession rights are given to spouses and certain family members when the tenant dies. These rights are given in Section 87 of the Housing Act 1985.

Please contact us for advice on your specific circumstances.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?