Skip to main content

Home and housing support for adults with a disability

Skip to contents of guide

Sheltered housing and extra care housing are not just for older people. They may be suitable if you are a younger person with a physical or learning disability.

You might be able to use your personal budget to pay for extra care.

Some extra care schemes have been designed especially for disabled people.

Supported living

We can provide supported living in a flat or house you rent or share.

We will aim to improve your independence over time. The amount of time you are supported will depend on what you need - it may be for a few hours a week, or it may be 24 hour support. 

We can help you:

  • manage your home and money
  • shop and cook
  • learn and train
  • get a volunteer or a paid job
  • take part in activities with other people

Shared lives

The Shared Lives scheme is for people with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, mental health problems, long term illness and dementia. The scheme will match you with a family and you will share their home and take part in family life.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?