Skip to main content

Working on the highway

Street work licences

You will need to obtain the correct licence before any you can undertake any works on the highway (carriageway, footway, cycleway and verge). Failure to obtain a licence is an offence and would result in a financial penalty.

There are two types of licence:

When submitting your request, please make sure that:

  • you get permission from the dropped kerb team if you are applying for a Section 171 to construct a dropped kerb
  • your application has been fully completed with all of the correct dates, location and activities
  • you have been granted planning permission (if required)
  • your application meets the minimum time scales
  • you have a street works accreditation under NRSWA 1991
  • you have applied for a Temporary Traffic Order and temporary traffic signals (if required)
  • you have valid public liability insurance of £10 million or above
  • approval from the owner of the apparatus you are connecting to has been granted.

Planned roadworks information

Up to date information about planned roadworks, road closures and events can be found on the website.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?