Skip to main content

Financial schemes and monetary support

Skip to contents of guide

Help with paying your rent

If you’re on a low income, you may be able to get help with your housing costs.

Check to see if you qualify for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Universal Credit.

The government's online benefits calculator can give you an idea of how much benefit you may be entitled to.

If you’re already claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but this does not cover your full rent, you may be able to get more short-term help by applying for Discretionary Housing Payments.

As a tenant, you must pay your rent, and this should be your priority above most other expenses.

If you’re evicted for rent arrears and apply for homeless assistance, you may not get help if we find that you did not pay your rent when you could have. This includes if you spent money on non-essential things rather than paying your rent.

For financial help, visit our page on money advice, budgeting and managing debt.

Please consider some of the other housing options available to you.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?