Skip to main content

Homelessness: duty to refer

Skip to contents of guide

If you work in a public authority and meet someone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness, you should refer them. You must have their permission to make a referral.

You should only make a referral if you work for:

  • a prison service
  • a youth-offending institution
  • a secure training centre
  • a secure college
  • a probation service (including community rehabilitation schemes)
  • JobCentre Plus
  • social services
  • emergency departments
  • urgent treatment centres
  • hospitals, in their function of in-patient care
  • the armed forces - the navy, marines, army and the air force

Make a referral

Before you refer someone, you must make sure the person is happy for you to:

  • refer them to us and not another council in England
  • share their contact details with us

This referral is only for use by staff of public authorities.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?