Skip to main content

Who is eligible for Council Tax Support

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if:

  • you pay Council Tax
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits (including Universal Credit)
  • you have dependent children
  • you’re ill or disabled
  • you’re caring for someone
  • you're State Pension age
  • you’ve been bereaved
  • you're pregnant or have recently had a baby
  • you have less than £16,000 in savings
  • your savings are over £16,000, but this money was from a compensation payment or a Prisoner of War payment or you are on Pension Credit Guarantee

If you make a claim for, or already receive Universal Credit, this will not include Council Tax Support, so you will need to apply for Council Tax Support.

You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, you’ll need to make a joint claim.

Who is not eligible

Usually, you cannot claim Council Tax Support if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
  • you do not have to pay Council Tax or are exempt from paying it
  • you’re residing in the UK as a European Economic Area jobseeker
  • you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you cannot claim public funds

Have you encountered a problem with this page?