Skip to main content

Report poor private rented housing conditions

Skip to contents of guide

The process for reporting repairs is different if you are a BCP Homes tenant.

If you are worried about the condition of your rented home and you’re struggling with your landlord or letting agent to get the repairs carried out, you should put this in writing to your landlord or letting agent first.

Make sure you keep a copy of the letter. This will help to protect you if things get worse or you are served with a notice. 

Allow a minimum of 14 days for a response from your landlord or letting agent. If you do not receive a response, or you are unhappy with the response, you can complain to us.

How to complain

Use our online form to report poor housing conditions in private rented accommodation to us.

Where possible or needed, checks will be made. We will then write to your landlord or letting agent to let them know we have received a complaint about their property and raise the issues with them. We would give them 14 days to reply to our letter and to provide details of what works they will carry out.

If we do not receive a response or if we feel the response will not address the complaint, an inspection and assessment in accordance with part 1 of the Housing Act 2004, Housing Health and Safety Rating Systems will be carried out.

The outcome of this assessment will then determine whether further action against the landlord is appropriate. The landlord will be informed of their repair obligations and if they still fail to carry out works, a statutory notice may be served.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?