Skip to main content

Money advice for council home tenants

Skip to contents of guide

Money advice for Poole residents

We're able to support all council housing residents in Poole, with free and confidential advice on welfare benefits to ensure you are claiming what you are entitled to. We can also assist you to complete:

  • health benefit forms
  • mandatory reconsiderations and appeals

You can contact us by:

Housing Benefit and Universal Credit

You may be able to claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to help you pay your rent.

If your Universal Credit award includes a housing cost element, it is your responsibility to pay this to us towards your rent. If you need to request a direct payment to the landlord, please call us on 0800 028 1870 and ask to speak to an Income Officer.

Council Tax support

You can pay less, or in some cases nothing, towards you council tax liability if you are eligible and on a low income or certain benefits.

If you put in a new claim for Universal Credit, you will still need to apply for Council Tax reduction.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPS)

Discretionary Housing Payments are a possible short term solution if you are struggling with your housing costs.

There is a certain criteria you must meet to be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.


If you have been made redundant or are at risk of being made redundant, please contact us to discuss further before making a new claim for benefits.

Money advice for Bournemouth residents

We can provide free help and advice for money worries or debt problems including advice on how to:

  • increase your income and manage your money - if things are becoming out of control
  • claim all the benefits you are entitled to
  • put together a budgeting plan
  • find information about grants made by charities which may be able to help you
  • gain education, employment and training

We can provide advice by telephone or meet at a convenient location.

How to make an appointment

You can contact us by:

Alternatively, you can speak to your Housing Officer or Kinson Hub reception to make an appointment.

Further support to deal with debt problems

You may be entitled to claim Universal Credit. Apply as soon as possible, as some changes cannot be backdated.

Use the online benefits calculator or make an appointment with our money advisor to check you're getting all the help that’s available to you.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?