Skip to main content

Money advice for council home tenants

Skip to contents of guide

The Your Money Team is here to give all council housing residents across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole free and confidential advice on all welfare benefits to make sure you claim all that you are entitled to. The team can also help residents to complete health benefit forms and write mandatory reconsiderations and appeals.

You can contact us by:

Benefits you may be able to claim

You may be able to claim certain benefits if you meet the criteria.

If you have been made redundant or are at risk of being made redundant, please contact us before making a new claim for benefits.

Housing Benefit and Universal Credit

You may be able to claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to help you pay your rent.

If your Universal Credit includes a housing cost element, it is your responsibility to pay this to us towards your rent. If you need to request a direct payment to the landlord, call us on 0800 028 1870 and ask to speak to an Income Officer.

Council Tax Support

You can pay less, or in some cases not have to pay anything towards your Council Tax if you are eligible for Council Tax Support.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments are a possible short term solution if you are struggling with your housing costs.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?