Skip to main content

Subletting your leasehold property

Skip to contents of guide

If you decide to sublet your council home, get in touch with us to let us know. We will need your contact information and your letting agent's details.

You can contact us by:

When letting out your leasehold property, you must:

  • make sure you continue to pay your service charges
  • have your lender’s permission if you have mortgage
  • make sure you have contents insurance if it is furnished and make sure your insurer knows you are subletting
  • use a reputable lettings agency to manage your property
  • grant your tenants an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (this will need to reflect the terms and conditions of your lease) for a minimum of 6 months
  • give them our contact details in case there are urgent problems affecting the building
  • carry out gas safety checks and electrical checks at the required intervals

Have you encountered a problem with this page?