Skip to main content

Lodgers in your council home

Skip to contents of guide

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax discounts, you must let us know as soon as anyone else moves into your home as having a lodger may affect your benefits.

You can let a lodger with you in your council home as long as there’s enough room and it does not overcrowd your home.

You do not need to get our permission to have a lodger live with you.

If you have any lodgers living with you in your home, they will not have the same rights as you and they must leave when you move out.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?