Skip to main content

If you are struggling to pay your rent, mortgage and other household costs, we recommend making sure that you are making the most of all available benefits, grants and payments. You may be eligible for more than you think.

Housing and homelessness support

If you are in need of advice or support you can contact our Homelessness and Housing Services. We also have information on homelessness and rough sleeping, including support if you are currently at risk of becoming homeless.


If you rent privately, speak to your landlord first if you feel safe and able to do so. You may be able to come to an arrangement.

If this is not possible and you think you may be asked to leave your home, you can get help from Housing Services Early Prevention Service. The earlier you can make contact the more likely we can help you stay in your current home. Email us at

Council tenants in Bournemouth should check our council tenancy information, including money and debt advice and information about rent arrears

If your Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit does not cover your full eligible rent and you are struggling to pay your rent you may be able to get Discretionary Housing Payments. You may be affected by the benefits cap, the bedroom tax, your eligible rent is restricted or you do not have enough money for a deposit or rent in advance.

If you are a private landlords or agent requiring information and support for tenants, please contact


Speak to your mortgage provider as soon as possible if you are struggling to pay your mortgage. They are going to be your best first contact for immediate support, and may be able to make changes to the way you pay.

Get mortgage arrears help from Citizens Advice.

Sovereign Housing residents can find more information about cost of living support on their website.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?