Skip to main content

Street parties and fetes

Skip to contents of guide

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life; they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community.

This information relates to street parties and fetes where groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are:

Street parties and fetes

  • for residents/neighbours only
  • publicity only to residents
  • no licences necessary if music incidental and no selling is involved
  • no formal risk assessment needed
  • self organised

Larger public events

  • anyone can attend
  • external publicity (such as in newspapers)
  • licence usually needed
  • insurance needed
  • risk assessment common
  • professional/skilled organisers

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a temporary event notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21. Similarly, larger public events attracting more people will require a different process.

How to apply to hold a street party or fete

Our traffic management team need advance notice of around six weeks, as they will need to put a temporary traffic regulation order in place.

There will be a charge to hire the road closure signs.

More information

For more information regarding street parties and fetes please contact You can also find out more information regarding events in Bournemouth and Christchurch and Poole.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?