Skip to main content

Temporary event notice

Skip to contents of guide

A temporary event notice (TEN) can be used to authorise small-scale events that involve the sale and supply of alcohol and the provision of regulated entertainment.

The event organiser or premises user (the person who gave the licensing authority notice) is not required to hold a personal licence under the Licensing Act 2003. The premises to which the event relates is not required to hold a premises licence, even if the event involves the supply or sale of alcohol.

A TEN can be given in respect to both indoor and outdoor events. "Premises" for the purposes of the act includes both indoors and outdoors venues. It can cover a town square, part of a park, or street.

Applying for a TEN doesn't give you permission for use of land for your event, just the licensable activities.

Restrictions on TENS

Your event must:

  • have no more than 499 people at all times – including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours (7 days).

You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN.

Number of notices you can apply for

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

If you’re organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.

Apply for a TEN

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event.

Clear working days do not include the day your council receives your application, or the day of the event.

You will have to pay a fee of £21.

You must send a copy of the TEN to the police and environmental health at least 10 working days before the event. If you apply online, we will do this for you.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice by completing our application form online and making the application fee of £21.00.

Late TENs

The latest you can apply for a ‘late TEN’ is 5 clear working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 clear working days).

If you do not hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice by completing our application form online and making the application fee of £21.00.


The council cannot refuse a notice unless the police or environmental health object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm.

If there’s an objection, your council’s licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a ‘hearing’) no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or environmental health object to a late TEN, the notice will not be valid and you cannot hold the event.


If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?