Skip to main content

Petroleum, explosives and fireworks licences

Skip to contents of guide

Petroleum storage certificate

We are responsible for making sure sites where petrol is delivered, stored and dispensed are safe and that precautions are in place to to reduce risks.

If you want to store petroleum you must apply for a Petroleum Storage Certificate.

How to apply

To apply for this licence download a petroleum storage certificate application form and return it to


The cost of a petroleum certificate is dependent on how much petroleum that will be stored.

You may choose how long a storage certificate will be valid for, between 1 and 10 years. Once you have chosen, you can make a payment for the period of your choice.

Domestic and non workplace storage

Petrol is highly flammable, explosive and toxic. If you are storing it, there are laws that you need to follow:

  • apart from what is in your vehicle fuel tank, you can only transport petrol in securely closed containers designed for the purpose and marked 'petroleum' and 'highly flammable'. Make sure these containers are secured in the back of your vehicle when being transported
  • filling your tank from a container should only be carried out in the open air
  • store any containers in a garage or shed away from any other buildings. Do not keep it in the house. Make sure the area is well ventilated and away from naked flames or live electrical equipment
  • check containers regularly for leaks. If you smell petrol fumes, ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off, the slightest spark could cause an explosion
  • the regulations have provision for licensing domestic and non-workplace petrol storage where it is kept for private use only
  • a person may keep up to 30 litres of petrol in suitable portable containers or in a single demountable fuel tank in a suitable storage place (see Schedule 2 of the PSC for further details)
  • a person keeping over 30 litres and less than 275 litres must notify the authority in writing with the name of the occupier, address of the premises, and confirmation that the petrol is stored in accordance with regulations
  • a person keeping in excess of 275 litres will require a petroleum storage certificate, certificates are issued in the same manner as that described above

Have you encountered a problem with this page?