Skip to main content

Petroleum, explosives and fireworks licences

Skip to contents of guide

Fireworks and explosives licence

You need a licence from us if you want to store and sell explosives (up to 2000kg)

This licence permits you to sell fireworks during the following four periods each year:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it.

Explosives storage licence 

To apply for an explosives storage licence please complete the application form, provide the documentation detailed in the form and pay the application fee.

If you want to store in excess of 2000kg of explosives you need to contact the Health and Safety Executive

Annual renewal fee

The licence needs to be renewed each year if you wish to continue storing explosives. An annual renewal fee is payable.

In some circumstances, we may accept renewal applications for periods greater than 1 year, based on the history of the premise concerned.

In this situation please contact before submitting an application/payment.

If you want to sell fireworks outside of the periods listed above you need an annual fireworks licence from us. To apply for an annual licence please complete the application form. An application fee of £500.00 is payable. This licence is in addition to the storage licence so you will need to complete both forms.

Please visit the Health and Safety Executive website for guidance on how to store explosives safely.

How to apply

For a licence to store fireworks complete this form and for an annual application complete this form, together with the associated documents, and send to:

Have you encountered a problem with this page?