Skip to main content

Extra care housing to help you stay independent

Skip to contents of guide

If you need care, but you want to live as independently as possible, an extra care housing scheme may be the right option for you. 

Unlike moving to a care home, extra care housing offers you the security and privacy of your own home, with extra facilities and a 24 hour care service should you need it.

Extra care housing means that couples and friends can stay together, and you keep control of who visits you, as well as your finances.

Each scheme has a manager and care staff based on site to support you. Packages of home care are available to help you.

More information can be found in our extra care housing brochure.

Extra care housing schemes in our area

There are 3 housing schemes for adults aged 18 and over in our area:

There are 5 housing schemes for adults aged 55 and over in our area:

Shaftesbury Court on Wimborne Road can help people with a physical or sensory disability.

Cost and charges

You will need to pay:

  • rent
  • support charges for unplanned care, direct care, welfare checks
  • housing service charges associated with the maintenance of your home

How to apply

You can apply to live in extra care housing if you’re:

  • aged over 18 or over 55, depending on the scheme
  • on our Housing Register
  • struggling physically or mentally, or have a long-term condition
  • living in a home that cannot be adapted to meet your needs
  • already living in a care home, or are thinking of moving to one, and would prefer to live independently with support
  • unable to pay for a private scheme

To find out more and get an assessment of your needs, get in touch with us

Have you encountered a problem with this page?