Skip to main content

Requesting a school place during the school year

Skip to contents of guide

Apply to change your childs school (in year application)

You can make an application to move school by applying online.

If you apply online, you'll also need to pass this background information form to your child's current or previous school for them to complete and return to us.

You can also complete a paper form.

Please ensure we have all the information requested before you submit your application as your application cannot be processed until this form is received.

Evidence required

If you're moving into or within Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole and you want your application to be based on your new address, you must give us proof of this address.

Type of house move Evidence
Property sale Solicitor's letter confirming exchange of contracts on your property sale and purchase.
Property rental Copy of your new tenancy agreement giving property address and date of duration of tenancy and notice to quit your current property. These must be signed by you and your new landlord. The new tenancy agreement must be signed and dated before the closing date, but can have a start date later than the closing date.
Moving to live with a friend or relative Letter from your friend or relative confirming the arrangements and the date that you'll be moving to live with them. Proof of their address, such as a recent Council Tax or utility bill. You can only base your application on this address once you're actually living there.
Child moving from one parent or carer to live with another on a long-term basis Written confirmation from both parents (or from parent or previous carer and new carer) explaining the new arrangements. Proof of the new address, such as a copy of a recent Council Tax or utility bill.
Armed services or crown servants Posting order or official letter stating the date you're due to move and the unit postal address or quartering area.
Domestic violence refuge Written confirmation from refuge staff that you're living in the refuge due to domestic violence.

School admission policies

Admission policies for all mainstream schools in the area are available. Make sure to read the policy for the schools you are interested in to make sure the school is right for you.

Further information about schools can be found on our family information directory.

Applying on faith grounds

You need to ask your priest or minister to complete our Faith Grounds supplementary information form (SIF) if you are applying to Burton CE Primary School, to prove religious commitment. This needs to be returned to our school admissions team by the published closing date.

The following schools also have SIFs which can be obtained from the Coastal Learning Partnership website. The completed SIF forms will need to be sent directly back to Coastal Learning Partnership via email to

  • Baden Powell & St Peter's CE Junior School
  • Lilliput CE Infant School
  • Longfleet CE Primary School

The following schools also have SIFs, that can be provided by the school and should be returned directly to them.

  • Bishop Aldhelm’s CE VA Primary School
  • Christ the King Catholic Primary School
  • Corpus Christi Catholic Primary School
  • Highcliffe St Mark Primary School
  • St Joseph’s RC Primary School Christchurch
  • St Joseph’s RC Primary School Poole
  • St Mark’s CE Primary School
  • St Mary’s RC Primary School
  • St Peter’s School
  • St Walburga’s Catholic Primary School
  • St Edward’s RC CE VA School
  • St Peter’s School
  • The Bishop of Winchester Academy

If you do not return a completed SIF by the published closing date your application will still be processed but the SIF will not be taken into account.

Applying on service premium grounds

If you wish to apply for a place on service premium grounds, you must download and complete a Service Premium Supplementary Information Form (SIF).

You need to complete and return it to the school by the published closing date.

If you do not return a completed SIF by the published closing date, your application will still be processed but the SIF will not be taken into account.

Applications received after the published closing dates will be processed after all the on time applications. This may mean that regularly oversubscribed schools are full before late applications are considered.

If you're applying for Twin Sails Infant School or Hamworthy Park Junior School in Poole on military service grounds you must complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF). Once completed, return your SIF to the school. You can find this SIF on the schools’ websites.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?