Skip to main content

Parking legislation and policies

Skip to contents of guide

Our parking regulations follow the Traffic Management Act 2004. If you’ve broken the regulations, we will issue you a Penalty Charge Notice that tells you about the offence.

Penalty charges are:

  • £70 (£35 if paid within 14 days) for major offences
  • £50 (£25 if paid within 14 days) for minor offences

We can issue Penalty Charge Notices using camera enforcement. Cameras are used to photograph vehicles parked illegally.

We will post you a Penalty Charge Notice if:

  • you’ve moved the vehicle before the notice could be issued
  • the Civil Enforcement Officer felt you threaten their personal safety
  • your vehicle was seen parked illegally by the camera car

You can challenge a penalty issued and you can also read our discretion policy.

Bus lanes

If you use a bus lane you will be sent a Penalty Charge Notice

This will be issued under Traffic Management Act 2004. The Civil Enforcement of Road Traffic Contraventions (Approved Devices, Charging Guidelines and General Provisions) (England) Regulations 2022. This penalty will be £70 reduced to £35 if paid within 21 days from date of issue.

Civil Enforcement Officers can issue Penalty Charge Notices for:

  • parking on double or single yellow lines, unless loading or unloading
  • stopping on school zig zags, bus stops or taxi bays where clearway markings are present
  • parking in loading bays when not loading or unloading
  • parking in disabled bays without displaying a blue badge
  • non-display of pay and display ticket or non-payment for parking in car parks or on-street payment locations
  • paring for longer than permitted in limited waiting bays
  • parking incorrect type of vehicle in ‘cars and motorcycle’ only bays, taxi bays, police bays or other designated bays
  • parking across a dropped kerb or footway

Civil Enforcement Officers and Police Officers can both issue Penalty Charge Notices at pedestrian crossings and Zigzags.

Civil Enforcement Officers can also inspect and seize blue badges.

Civil Enforcement Officers cannot deal with obstructions of the highway or parking on the pavement, (unless the vehicle is parked adjacent to yellow lines), you would need to contact the Police on the non-emergency number 101 to report these offences.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?