Skip to main content

Your responsibilities as a landlord

Skip to contents of guide

As a landlord, you must follow:

Our private sector housing enforcement policy has information about how we regulate standards in private rented housing.

Working with your tenants

At the start of a tenancy, you should talk to your tenants to explain what you are both responsible for.

If your property needs major repairs, you’ll need to arrange this. You cannot expect your tenants to pay for them.

Your tenants will be responsible for small repairs like:

  • cosmetic decorating
  • gardening
  • changing plugs and light bulbs
  • unblocking sinks, toilets and drains

If your tenants are not confident with DIY, you could recommend or put them in touch with contractors.


We use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System guidelines when inspecting properties. Your properties must meet the legal standards of this document.

Rent deposit scheme protection

If your tenant has paid a deposit for the property, you must make sure it’s registered with a deposit protection scheme.

Once the deposit is registered, you must give your tenants a copy of the certificate. We recommend you give this to them in person and ask them to sign a receipt to confirm they have it.

A deposit does not have to be registered if you received it as a bond guarantee certificate through our rent deposit scheme.

Checking your tenant has the right to rent

All landlords, agents or householders renting out a property or room must make the necessary checks to make sure that prospective tenants have a right to rent in the UK.

These checks apply to all adults who will live in the property.

Failure to make the correct checks could result in a penalty of up to £3,000.

Gas and electricity installations

All gas installations and appliances must be checked annually by a Gas Safe registered installer. The installation must meet the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

All electrical installations should meet BS7671: 1992 (requirements for low voltage electrical appliances). Work must be completed by a contractor registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting or another recognised organisation.

You must get an Energy Performance Certificate for your property before you advertise it. You’ll also need to give this to your tenants.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detection

From 1 October 2015, all rented homes must be provided with a smoke detector on each storey where there is living accommodation. Rented homes that have solid fuel burning appliances must have a carbon monoxide detector in the room where the appliance is

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations guidance for landlords and tenants has more information.

How to Rent guide

A How to Rent guide must be provided to tenants. It can be supplied in hard copy or email and must be the latest version on the GOV.UK website at the time it’s given to the tenant.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?