Skip to main content

Downsizing your council home

Skip to contents of guide

If you are finding your council home too big to manage or your Housing Benefit has been reduced because of the amount of people that live there, the transfer enabling scheme can help you with downsizing.

We can also help if you are over 60 and living in a one bedroom general needs home and are interested in moving into one of our sheltered housing or independent senior living schemes.

We are happy to visit you at home to help you through the process. We will arrange the removal with you and make sure you get full support for your needs so that it can go ahead as smoothly as possible.

A tenancy sustainment officer will support you to:

  • complete the Home Choice application
  • monitor the application and bidding process
  • arrange removals and support your end of tenancy
  • settle into your new home and community

For more information and to get in touch with us about downsizing, use our online form.

When you are assigned a property you're happy with, we will:

  • arrange the removal company (all removal costs will be paid)
  • help you with letting your utility companies know
  • help with change of circumstances to Housing Benefit (if applicable)

Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 028 1870 or email

Have you encountered a problem with this page?