Skip to main content

Council home insurance

Skip to contents of guide

There are 2 types of insurance that you need for your council home:

  • buildings insurance
  • contents insurance

Buildings insurance

We are responsible for the buildings insurance. We use a company called Protector and our claims handler is called Sedgwick. Our policy number is 3145772.

How to make a buildings insurance claim

If you need to make a buildings insurance claim, you can contact Sedgwick by:

There is a £100 excess on each and every claim apart from claims for for subsidence, which are subject to a £1,000 excess.

If your home is empty for more than 30 days

Your insurance cover will be affected if your home is empty for more than 30 days at a time. You will not be covered for malicious damage, escape of water or theft while your home is empty.

If your home will be empty for an extended time, let us know. You should also make arrangements for someone to regularly check on your home.

Email if you are a Bournemouth resident or if you are a Poole resident to let us know your home is going to be empty.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance helps pay to replace or repair your personal belongings if they're stolen or damaged. There are different levels of cover that you can purchase.

You are responsible for finding, buying and renewing your own contents insurance to cover your personal belongings.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited who provide the Crystal Insurance Scheme, a specialist tenants contents insurance policy.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?