Skip to main content

Voting by proxy (asking someone to vote on your behalf)

If you’re unable to vote in person you can ask someone to vote on your behalf. This is called a proxy vote.

You can apply for a proxy vote under certain circumstances, including:

  • being away on polling day (such as on holiday)
  • being registered as an overseas voter
  • having a medical issue or disability
  • not being able to vote in person because of work or military service

Your proxy should be someone you trust to vote on your behalf. You’ll need to tell them which candidate (or referendum outcome) you want to vote for.

Apply for a proxy vote

Usually, you need to apply for a proxy vote at least 6 working days before election day.

There are different forms depending on the reason that you need a proxy vote.

You can apply online or print paper forms on GOV.UK. 

To be eligible to vote by proxy in the UK parliamentary general election, we must receive your application by 5pm on 26 June.

Completed paper application forms can be sent to us by:

Once a new application is made, your proxy will receive a letter confirming their appointment. Nearer to polling day they will receive notification of when and where they can vote on your behalf.

How long your proxy vote is for

You can apply to vote by proxy:

  • for a single election or referendum on a specific date
  • for a specific period if you want 
  • permanently (every 5 years you will be asked to confirm that you still want to vote by proxy)

Who can act as a proxy

You can ask anyone to act as your proxy - as long as they:

  • are registered to vote
  • are allowed to vote in the type of election taking place
  • can vote in the polling station stated on your poll card

They’ll need to take their own photo ID with them to vote.

Change or cancel your proxy vote

To change who acts as your proxy you must make a new application.

To cancel your proxy vote, you must contact us.

If you want to vote by post instead, complete a postal vote application.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?