Skip to main content

Council Tax scams

Skip to contents of guide

Criminals use schemes and scams to get your personal details. Do not be their next victim.

There are many different types of scam.

Refund of Council Tax

People contact residents, claiming they are from BCP Council or GOV.UK, and say that the person is due a refund. They then ask for bank account or debit card details so that they can make the refund.

If we already hold your account details, we will send any refund due to that account - we would not phone you. If we do not have your bank details, we will send you a credit bill which will advise you how to apply for an online Council Tax refund.

Outstanding Council Tax payments

Residents are targeted by people claiming to be from BCP Council, who demand an immediate payment to cover outstanding Council Tax arrears.

If you owe Council Tax you will have received a reminder notice or final warning notice from us, telling you how much you owe and how you can pay. If you’re not sure, check your account online.

Council Tax rebanding service

Some companies offer to check your Council Tax band and appeal on your behalf. However, they will probably charge you a fee for this. It’s easy to check for yourself, and you can get free advice on making an appeal from The Valuation Office Agency.

To find out what your Council Tax band is, check the Valuation Office Agency website, or call them on 03000 501 501.

If you’re not sure who is calling you, do not give your bank account, debit card or other personal information over the phone.

Ask the caller for their name, which company they are from and their phone number and tell them you will call them back.

You can check your Council Tax account online to find out if you’re genuinely due a refund. Or contact us to check if the caller is genuine. If you have given them your card details, contact your bank immediately and then the police via the Action Fraud website.

Energy Rebate payment scam

We are not calling anyone to ask for their bank details to make an Energy Rebate payment.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?