Skip to main content

Council Tax exemption for executors

Skip to contents of guide

Acting as an executor can be difficult at a time that is often distressing. If you registered for the ‘Tell us once’ service when registering the death, you do not need to do anything else, unless you wish to apply for a Council Tax refund.

One of the ways we can help is through an exemption of the unoccupied property’s Council Tax.

Find out if you’re eligible

If the property is unoccupied

If the person who died was the sole owner of the property, no Council Tax is payable from the date of death until six months after the grant of probate or letters of administration.

When the exemption ends

The exemption ends when the property is reoccupied or is disposed of by the Estate if this is earlier. The exemption does not apply if the property remained occupied after the date of death.

If the property remains occupied

The remaining occupier of the property takes over responsibility for the Council Tax. If that person is living on their own, a single person discount is available. Discounts may also be available if the only other person resident is a carer.


Executors should email us, providing proof of probate (or Letters of Administration) and details of the bank account to be refunded. If you do not need probate and are claiming a refund as beneficiary you will need to provide the death certificate, will, proof of your identity and details of the bank account to be refunded.

Executors of Bournemouth residents, email

Executors of Christchurch or Poole residents, email

How to apply

To apply for an exemption, please complete our form. You will need to know your Council Tax account number.

For Bournemouth residents:

For Christchurch residents:

For Poole residents:

If you need any help with completing the form, please contact us.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?