Skip to main content

Claiming a Council Tax refund

Skip to contents of guide

If you’ve received a Council Tax bill showing a credit balance on your account, you’re due a refund.

If you’re an Executor or a beneficiary of an estate, we need some additional information from you before we can authorise a refund.

Find out more about refunds for executors.

Bournemouth residents

You can request a refund by accessing your account online using OpenPortal:

For your security, when you register, your initial password will be posted to you at the address we hold.

If you had an OpenAccess account before, use the same login details.

Christchurch and Poole residents

If you've moved out of Christchurch or Poole and have overpaid

You'll get an automatic refund if you've paid too much money by Direct Debit. The refund will go into your bank account within 28 days when you let us know you've moved.

If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we'll send you a cheque to the new address that you have provided.

If you've moved within Christchurch or Poole and have overpaid

We will automatically transfer your credit to your online Council Tax account.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?