Skip to main content

Projection licence

Skip to contents of guide

You need a licence to have an awning or canopy on your premise that overhangs the highway under section 178 Highways Act 1980.

Below you can view the:

How to apply

To apply please read the guidance and conditions then complete the application form and return to

We will inspect the area to make sure that no obstruction or nuisance could be caused to others once the application has been received.

It takes around two months for an application to be approved, which includes a 28-day statutory notice period for public objections to the application. This may extend if planning approval is required.

Who can apply

Businesses who hold £5 million public liability insurance can apply for a licence.

You do not need a licence if you own a section of the pavement outside your premises and the area does not include any public highway.

Planning permission or advertisement consent is also likely to be required. Licences will normally be sought and granted as part of the planning process of some structures however, in some circumstances, it may be applicable to grant a Highway Projection Licence separately.

If you are in doubt about whether you need a licence, please email


  • new application: £250 for one year
  • renewal application: £150 for one year

Under this application you will have a 28-day consultation period and licences can be applied for on a one year basis.

Changes to a licence

Complete a new application if you want to make changes to an existing licence.

Useful contacts

Highways Support Team:
01202 118 551

Customer Service Planning Team:
01202 123 321

Have you encountered a problem with this page?