Skip to main content

Household Duty of Care

If you are a householder, you are required to take reasonable steps to check that people removing waste from your premises are authorised to do so.

Before you let someone other than the council take waste away for you, you should:

  • ask the person taking the waste where it will be going and ask to see their Waste Carriers Licence. If they do not have one, do not use them
  • check whether they are registered by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 for an instant waste carriers validation check, or by visiting the Environment Agency's public register of waste carriers
  • keep a record of any paperwork they give you, the dates you used them, their name, telephone number, and registration number so that if they do fly-tip your waste you will be able to pass their details to us
  • report anyone who is not registered to the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506

If the person who takes the waste from you is not authorised to do so, or your waste is illegally disposed of (for example, fly-tipped), you could be prosecuted and fined if you have not taken all reasonable measures to meet your duty of care obligations.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?