Skip to main content

Who is eligible for Housing Benefit

Who is eligible

If you or your partner is of working age and you are seeking help with your rent, please first check if you should apply for Universal Credit.

If you do not meet the criteria for Universal Credit, you can apply for Housing Benefit for help with your rent, if:

  • you pay rent
  • you’re on a low income or claiming other benefits
  • you receive Pension Credit
  • your savings are below £16,000 (this does not apply if you are in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee Credit)

You can apply if you are employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, you will need to make a joint claim.

Who is not eligible

Usually, you cannot claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you meet the criteria to apply for Universal Credit for help with your rent
  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
  • you pay to rent and live in the home of a close relative
  • you’re a full-time student - unless you’re an eligible student
  • you’re residing in the UK as a European Economic Area jobseeker
  • you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds

Do not forget you will also need to claim separately for Council Tax Support.

Please contact us for any help you need with Housing Benefit.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?