Skip to main content

Local Housing Allowance

If you rent a home through the private sector, the amount of Local Housing Allowance you’re entitled to is based on the size of your household.

It’s not directly related to the rent that your landlord charges you for the spaces that you occupy, meaning that the benefit you receive may be lower than the rent you're charged.

See the Local Housing Allowance rates below to find out how much allowance you might receive, depending on how many bedrooms your household needs.

Local Housing Allowance rates

Local Housing Allowance lets you identify the maximum amount of Housing Benefit that you could receive, as it’s based on how your household is made up.

One bedroom is allowed for each person in the following categories:

  • a single adult or couple
  • a child
  • 2 children of the same sex, until one of them reaches the age of 16
  • 2 children of the opposite sex until one of them reaches the age of 10

Four is the maximum number of bedrooms anyone is allowed.

Use the room calculator on the Valuation Office Agency's website to help work out the maximum amount of Housing Benefit you could receive.

If you’re under 35, your Housing Benefit will normally be based on the shared room rate of Local Housing Allowance.

However, there are some exceptions if you’re in self-contained accommodation and meet one of the following criteria:

  • you have a non-dependent, not including subtenants
  • you receive the Mid or High-Rate Care component of Disability Living Allowance, or the Daily Living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • you need an additional bedroom for a non-resident, overnight carer
  • you're subject to Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) Level 2 and 3 only) and are aged over 25
  • you've spent at least three months in homeless hostels where support is provided with a view to rehabilitation or resettlement into the community and are aged over 16
  • you have dependent children, including foster children
  • you're a care leaver - this exemption only applies until your 25th birthday
  • from 1 October 2022 for victims of domestic abuse
  • from 1 October 2022 for victims of modern slavery

Safeguard Policy

We usually pay the allowance to the claimant rather than the landlord. Sometimes, we can make exceptions and pay the landlord. Information on these circumstances and how to apply for payments to be made to landlord can be found in the safeguard policy below, with application forms.

Download our Local Housing Allowance Safeguard Policy.

Please contact us for any help you need with Housing Benefit.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?