Skip to main content

Short term care, reablement and occupational therapy at home

Skip to contents of guide

Short term care options may help you get back on your feet, if you are:

  • returning home after a hospital stay
  • adjusting after an illness or accident
  • getting used to a change in your physical or mental abilities

If you apply for support from us, we may be able to help you regain old skills or develop new ones. We'll aim to help you feel confident and independent in your own home. This is sometimes called "reablement".


Reablement is a short period of intensive support in your home. It allows more time for assessment and recovery. It also can help you and your family think about your care needs and plan for the future.

How long we work with you depends on your needs, but should take place over a period of up to 6 weeks. At the end of our work we will talk to you about ongoing needs and see whether you are able to access any financial support.

You can find more information about the services we have to offer from Tricuro Services.

We are have a Duty of Candour, as set out in Regulation 20 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) - Regulations 2014.

For more information see the Duty of Candour section on the Care Quality Commission website.

Care assistants

An agency can send a care assistant to visit you at home to help for a few hours a week or more.

Care agencies will set a cost depending on how much care is given, rather than by just the amount of time that they spend with you.

The Care Choices checklist gives a list of important things to think about when choosing a care agency.

Our service directory can help you find a home care provider.

Occupational therapists

An occupational therapist (OT) can help you work out how to cope with everyday tasks and issues in the home. They may give you advice on:

  • different ways to manage tasks based on your needs
  • equipment that might be able to help
  • Lifeline, an emergency contact system that can be installed in your home
  • changes that could be made to your home to help

An OT may also help you apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the cost of any changes that need to happen at home.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?