Check if you need approval
If you want to build a new building or change something about a building you’ll need Building Regulation approval. Depending on the project you’ll need building regulation approval, planning permission or both.
To make sure the building is safe and can be used in the way you plan you must have building approval for:
- new buildings
- changing existing buildings
- installing controlled services and fittings
- changing what a building is used for.
If you are making improvements to your home, the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) have produced useful guides to get you started, or you can check what you need to do through the interactive service. The LABC is a not-for-profit membership organisation that represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales.
You can download government guidelines regarding building regulations. Building regulations cover:
- structure, strength and stability
- fire safety
- moisture resistance
- toxic substances
- sound insulation
- drainage and waste disposal
- equipment which produces heat
- stairway construction
- fuel and power saving
- disabled access and facilities
- safety glazing.