Apply for a taxi and private hire drivers licence
If you want to drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle you must hold the appropriate driver licence.
All applicants must demonstrate that they are ‘fit and proper’ and meet the high standards required of someone who is responsible for transporting vulnerable members of the community.
To be able to apply for a licence you must meet the following criteria:
- be at least age of 21 years
- be able to speak English
- have proof of right to live and work in the UK
- have hold Level 2 Certificate Introduction to the role of Taxi and Private Hire Driver
- have a valid driving licence (UK Group B entitlement for more than 12 months or the same EEA entitlement, registered with the DVLA)
- have an Enhanced DBS certificate less than 3 months old.
How to apply
Before you apply, you can read through our guidance document. This outlines exactly what you need to do and how.
Once you have read the guidance, and have gathered all the necessary supporting documents you can then complete our online form.
Once you have completed the online form you will be contacted by us to complete the stage two in the application process as detailed in the guidance.
You will be required to sit a knowledge test. As detailed in our guidance document this will include questions about the:
- the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole area
- our policies
- the highway code.
The driver application cost is £175, and this covers:
- initial application fee
- driving licence check
- first knowledge test.
Other costs you may need to be aware of are:
- DBS Check and update service (£13 per year)
- knowledge test re-resit (£75 per resit)
- driving assessment (fee payable to the assessor)
- medical examination.
Once you have completed the application process you must then pay for a three year driver licence.
Your new licence and badge will be sent to you once confirmation of payment has been received.