Temporary event notice

A temporary event notice (TEN) can be used to authorise small-scale events that involve the sale and supply of alcohol and the provision of public entertainment.

The event organiser or premises user (the person who gave the licensing authority notice) is not required to hold a personal licence under the Licensing Act 2003. The premises to which the event relates is not required to hold a premises licence, even if the event involves the supply or sale of alcohol. 

A TEN can be given in respect to both indoor and outdoor events. “Premises” for the purposes of the act includes both indoors and outdoors venues. It can cover a town square, part of a park, or street.

Applying for a TEN doesn't give you permission for use of land for the event just the licensable activities.

Restrictions on TENS

Any person organising such an event, must be 18 years or over and can have a maximum of 5 TENs per year.

This limitation prevents those not holding a personal licence from taking advantage of temporary events without having the relevant qualifications. Personal licence holders under the Licensing Act 2003 are entitled to a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Each event covered by a TEN can last up to 96 hours. No more than 12 TENs can be given in respect to any particular premises in any year.

The aggregate duration of temporary events held on any particular premises may not exceed 360 hours (15 days) in one year. There must be a minimum of 24 hours between events notified by a premises user in respect of that premises. 

The maximum number of people allowed on any particular premises under a  Temporary Event Notice is 499, which includes staff and performers.

Apply for a TEN

Please ensure that you submit your application to the Licensing Team at least ten working days before the event.

This period does not include the day of receipt by the Licensing Team or the day of the event. It is advisable to submit your application as soon as you can. This is to avoid refusal of the application and cancellation of the event.

The event holder must detail, on the notice, the licensable activities to which the event relates. Include the duration and the times within that duration for which the premises will be used for those activities.

The event holder is also required to specify the maximum number of persons that will attend. Where relevant activities including the sale and supply of alcohol must specify whether consumption will take place on and/or off the premises.

It is a condition of the TEN that the sale and supply of alcohol is made by or under the authority of the premises user. This condition will also be satisfied in the notice.

Read the guidance for submitting a temporary event notice.

The fee of £21.00 for a TEN must be paid online by debit card or credit card and the application submitted at least 10 working days prior to the day the event period begins.

A copy of your application is now automatically sent securely by email to Dorset Police licensing, therefore you do not need to send this again.

Where we receive a temporary event notice (in duplicate) within the permitted limits, we will acknowledge receipt of the notice. We will send or deliver one notice to the premises user by the end of the first working day following the day on which it was received.

We will mark the returned notice, and the proposed event can go ahead as specified on the temporary event notice. For a TEN that is received on a non-working day, we will send or deliver the marked notice by the second working day following the day of receipt.

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice by completing our application form online and making the application fee of £21.00.  Your application online must be as an individual and not as a business account.

Counter Notices

If the TEN exceeds the permitted limits prescribed within the Act, we will give the event holder a counter notice. This will mean that the event cannot go ahead.

In addition, if the police are satisfied that allowing the premises to be used in accordance with the TEN would undermine the licensing objective of crime and disorder. They must give the premises user and the licensing authority an objection notice within 48 hours of receiving a copy of the TEN. We must then hold a hearing to consider the notice. We will issue a counter notice where it is considered necessary, for the promotion of the crime prevention objective.

Alternatively, the TEN can be modified by the police with the agreement of the premises user prior to a hearing. We welcome mediation between the police and the premises user between the notice period and objection notice and the day of hearing.

Where TENs have been satisfactorily modified through the mediation process, the objection notice will be treated as having been withdrawn. The hearing will also be cancelled.

Temporary Event Notices on Licensed Premises

In circumstances where a premises is limited to certain functions, the premises user can apply for a temporary event notice to include other licensable activities for a temporary period. For example, a business that holds a premises licence only for the sale and supply of alcohol, but wishes to hold a special event which will include live music and late-night refreshment.

In such circumstances the temporary event notice must be served on the licensing authority and copied to the police as described above. The same requirements and restrictions, previously described in 7.1.1, also apply to TENs on licensed premises.

Intervention of TENs

Only the police can intervene to prevent or modify the arrangements for an event due to take place under a TEN. They may only do so on the grounds of crime and disorder prevention. A constable or an authorised officer (officer of the licensing authority) may, at any reasonable time, enter the premises to which a TEN relates to assess the likely effect of the notice on the promotion of the crime and disorder objective.

An authorised officer exercising the power conferred by this section must, if so requested, produce the evidence of his authority to exercise the power. A person commits an offence liable to summary conviction and a fine if he intentionally obstructs an authorised officer exercising a power conferred by the Act.

Displaying TENs

The premises user must either ensure that a copy of the TEN is prominently displayed at the premises, or kept at the premises in his/her custody, or in the custody of a person who is present and working at the premises.

In cases where the TEN is in the custody of a person other than the premises user, a notice must be prominently displayed on the premises. It must specify that fact and the position held at the premises by that person.

The premises user or person in custody of the TEN may be required to produce the TEN at the request of a constable or authorised officer. It is an offence liable on summary conviction if he or she fails to do so.

Theft and Loss of TENs

Where an acknowledged temporary event notice has been lost, stolen, or damaged or destroyed, the premises user may apply for a copy to the licensing authority that acknowledged the notice. 

The fee for a TEN copy can be found in licensing fees. Applications must be made under this provision within one month after the event period specified in the notice.

The licensing authority must be satisfied that the notice has been lost, stolen, or destroyed. In cases where it is alleged to have been lost or stolen, the premises user must report that loss or theft to the police. 

The notice issued will be an exact copy of the form that existed immediately before it was lost, damaged or destroyed.