Councillor Julie Bagwell elected as Poole’s 773rd Mayor at this year’s annual meeting of the Charter Trustees.
The Poole Charter Trustee Annual General Meeting took place on Friday 21 May at 11am in the Committee Suite at Poole Civic Centre. This year residents were invited to watch the event virtually, as it was live streamed in line with COVID-19 safety protocols.
The traditional event also saw the elections of Councillor Tony Trent as Sheriff and the Deputy Mayor is Councillor Marion Le Poidevin.
The Mayor of Poole, Councillor Julie Bagwell, said: “It is such an honour to be chosen by my fellow councillors to be Mayor. Poole is a fantastic place to live and it will be my privilege to represent the town, its residents, charities and businesses.”
Councillor Bagwell has chosen to support four charities during her mayoral year:
- Winchelsea School
- Kushti Bok
- Hamworthy Hedgehog Rescue
- Friends of Hamworthy Park
The Mayor’s role is to:
- maintain the historical and ceremonial traditions of the office of Mayor
- promote the town as a place to live and visit
- promote the town locally, nationally and internationally
- promote, liaise and link with private and voluntary sector organisations
- participate in and help initiate activities that enhance the economic, social, cultural and environmental well-being of the former borough and its residents
- act as host to official visitor to the town
- attend civic and ceremonial functions and local community-based activities as the Mayor determines appropriate
- represent the trust at ceremonial events
- support chosen charities for the mayoral year
- carry out all duties in a manner appropriate to the status and tradition of the office
- preside over Citizenship Ceremonies on behalf of BCP Council
As the 453rd Sheriff of Poole, and one of only 15 Sheriffs in the whole of England and Wales, Councillor Tony Trent will support the Mayor with her civic duties and responsibilities.
The elections in Bournemouth will take place on Friday 28 May at 11:15am and will also be live streamed for public viewing.