Brexit – Find out how BCP Council is preparing and what you and local businesses can do to get ready

Posted on Wednesday 10 April 2019

The United Kingdom (UK) is due to leave the European Union (EU) and businesses and public bodies will need to prepare for this.

This page will be our hub for all Brexit related information and will be updated regularly in the lead up to and following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

To find out more about Brexit including negotiations and announcements about policy changes as a result of the UK leaving the EU, visit GOV.UK’s main Brexit page

Our preparation for Brexit

BCP Council, as part of Dorset Local Resilience Forum, has been working closely with the Port of Poole and emergency service partners making sure there are robust plans in place so there is minimal disruption to residents and businesses following Brexit.

Brexit advice for residents

See the advice for residents here

The UK Government’s page on how to prepare for the EU Exit if you live in the UK includes information on:

EU nationals living in the UK

The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

These agreements mean that most citizens from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland will need to apply to stay in the UK. They can then continue living their lives here as they do now.

To check whether this applies to you, use GOV.UK's tool for EU citizens who wish to live in the UK after Brexit. You can also find out about the steps involved in achieving settled status.

Brexit advice for businesses

It makes sense for businesses to prepare for different Brexit scenarios. For advice for your business, just answer a few short questions at the UK Government’s business readiness website to help understand how leaving the EU may affect your business and what you can do to get ready.

Our Environmental Health Team are prepared to provide a Port Health Service at the Port of Poole if required. For more information and advice on Port Health Services, please email the team

Trading with the EU after Brexit

If your business trades with the EU you'll need to register online for an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number.

HMRC have written to all businesses who trade with the EU to explain how Binding Tariff Information (BTI) will change after Brexit.

Read a guide to changes at the UK Border.

There is unlikely to be any change to UK laws on food, product safety or consumer rights when the UK leaves the EU. Food businesses that export to the EU will need to meet EU importation requirements. Find out how Brexit affects food businesses.

Read government guidance for exporters of animals, animal products, fish, shellfish, crustaceans and fishery products on how to prepare if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.

Employing EU citizens

Support your employees through their application for settled status using the guide for employers with EU staff on GOV.UK.