Skip to main content

Insurance for council homes

There are two types of insurance that you need for your council home:

  • contents insurance
  • buildings insurance

Contents insurance

Contents insurance helps pay to replace or repair your personal belongings if they're stolen or damaged. There are different levels of cover that you can purchase.

If you live in a council home you are responsible for finding, purchasing and renewing your own content insurance to cover your personal belongings.

Buildings insurance

We are responsible for insuring your council home. We use a company called Protector and our claims handler is called Sedgwick. Our policy number is 3145772.

How to make a buildings insurance claim

If you need to make a buildings insurance claim you can contact Sedgwick by:

Policy excess

There is a £100 excess on each and every claim apart from claims for for subsidence, which are subject to a £1,000 excess.

If your home is empty for more than 30 days

Your insurance cover will be affected if your home is empty for more than 30 days at a time. You will not be covered for malicious damage, escape of water or theft while your home is unoccupied.

If your property will be empty for an extended period, please let us know. You should also make arrangements for someone to regularly check on the property.

You can contact us at:

Have you encountered a problem with this page?