Skip to main content

Council home leaseholders

Skip to contents of guide

Sub letting, lodgers, buying and selling council home


Before letting out your leasehold property, you should:

  • provide us with your contact address, telephone number and details of your letting agent
  • make sure you continue to pay your service charges
  • have your lender’s permission if you have mortgage
  • make sure you have contents insurance if it is furnished and make sure your insurer knows you are subletting
  • use a reputable lettings agency to manage your property (their terms will vary)
  • grant your tenants an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (this will need to reflect the terms and conditions of your lease) - minimum of six months
  • give them our contact details in case there are urgent problems affecting the building
  • carry out gas safety checks and electrical checks at the required intervals

Buying and selling

When a leasehold flat is either bought or sold the seller's solicitor sends an enquiry form regarding the property being sold to us. For consistency, we encourage use of the Bournemouth and District Law Society or LPE1 Management Pack.

When the lease is assigned to the new owner, a Notice of Transfer/Mortgage will be sent to our solicitors by the purchaser's solicitors within one month of the purchase date. The new leaseholder will then be sent a welcome pack and information about the service charges.

Please note - properties at Willow Park, Poole are subject to a retention of 0.25% of the purchase price, as well as the Notice of Transfer fee. The 0.25% fee is a vetting fee and is in the Lease Agreement. This is payable by the seller. The Notice of Transfer is sent to BCP Council and is dealt with by Legal Services.

If you require information on enfranchisement or extending your lease, please contact us by telephone on 0800 028 1870.

Alternatively, you can contact us by email at:


You have the right to let a lodger with you in your council home, provided there’s enough room and this does not overcrowd your home. You do not need to get our permission.

If you have any lodgers living with you in your property, they will not have the same rights as you, and they must leave when you move out.

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit, you must notify us as soon as anyone else moves into your home. Having a lodger may affect your entitlement to benefits.

You might not be entitled to Council Tax discounts and exemptions if you’re no longer the only adult living in your home.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?