Skip to main content

Report a concern about a neighbouring property

Skip to contents of guide

Rubbish and waste on private land

Rubbish and waste on private land

Accumulations of waste on private land can create a public health hazard or attract vermin. We can enforce clearance by the landowner if necessary.

Waste, rubbish and general items left in gardens or on driveways can create problems for neighbours and the wider community. Landowners and tenants must do all they can to dispose of waste or unwanted items properly, using Bournemouth Recycling Centre, if household bins are full.

Noxious waste

Noxious waste can be rotting food or anything that is potentially harmful, such as needles. Where this waste is discovered on private land and the landowner cannot be found or will not clear it quickly, you should contact us.

An officer will attend the site at the earliest opportunity to assess the issue and if necessary serve a notice on the landowner requiring clearance. If the notice is not complied with, we will consider carrying out the works ourselves and recharging the landowner. We may also consider prosecution, which could result in a fine.

Waste attracting vermin

Vermin, particularly rats, will seek to find food and warmth and will therefore be attracted to land that has food waste or soft furnishings, such as sofas or mattresses, left on it. If a landowner is not dealing with this issue, it should be reported to us.

An officer will attend the site to assess the issue and if the waste is not noxious, they will consider serving notice requiring the landowner to clear the relevant waste or items. Refusal to comply with a notice can also lead to a prosecution and possible fine.

Untidy sites

If private land looks untidy, but harmful waste is not present, it can still have a negative impact on the community. Large or numerous items on land and properties being left derelict and unsightly can be assessed by us.

We are only likely to take action where the state of the property is in a significantly poor condition and having a serious detrimental effect on the neighbourhood. It is not a statutory duty and an officer will advise if the condition meets our threshold. Please note we will only consider action in relation to properties with graffiti where the language or images are offensive or inflammatory.

Making a complaint

If the problem is at a neighbouring property, try speaking to the owners or occupants to make them aware and see if they are taking steps to rectify an issue. If no action is taken, you can email and we will carry out an investigation and consider action under relevant powers to ensure remedial works are carried out.

In order to investigate your complaint you must provide your name, address and contact telephone number as well as the address of the property where you think the problem is. If possible, please include a description of the waste and a photograph.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?