Skip to main content

Domestic noise complaints

You can report a noise problem to us if the noise is having a significant impact on you and your family.

Before you report a noise problem to us, you should try to speak to the person responsible for the noise.

To help you do this you can contact Mediation Dorset or find out about resolving neighbour disputes on GOV.UK.

If talking with does not resolve the problem, or you feel unable to approach them, you could write a letter. We have a letter template that you can use to do this. If this doesn't sort the issue or you cannot talk to the person, we may be able to help.

For a noise to amount to a statutory nuisance the noise would need to be unreasonable and substantial not simply an annoyance. Two conditions must be met:

  • it must cause significant interference to the normal occupation of a premises by a person of average sensitivity
  • it must be caused by some unreasonable or unusual act or omission or behaviour

Noise nuisances we deal with

We can investigate noise from:

  • noisy neighbours, such as loud music, shouting or DIY at night
  • burglar and car alarms
  • animals, such as barking dogs or crowing cockerels

We cannot investigate:

  • if you don't know where the noise is coming from
  • everyday household noise, such as footsteps, doors closing, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, children playing, babies crying or talking
  • traffic, aircraft or railway noise
  • noise from outdoor sports
  • noise in the street, such as vehicles left running, car stereos, shouting or car horns

View our Domestic noise nuisance operational protocol for more information.

How to report a noise nuisance

Use our online form to report a noise nuisance.

To report a noise problem you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • what the noise is
  • where you think the noise is coming from
  • how long the noise lasts for
  • how often the noise happens
  • the time the noise usually happens
  • how the noise is affecting you and your family

Take your own action through the courts

If all else fails, you can take legal action. See our guidance on taking your own action.

Out of hours noise service

To report a noise problem that is happening outside of normal working hours, call us on 0800 506 050.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?