Skip to main content

Children in care placed by other local authorities

Skip to contents of guide

If another local authority intends to place a child or young person in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole, or has already placed a child in an emergency, the authority responsible should notify us as soon as possible.

We need to be aware of any risks or vulnerabilities for the child or placement so our services can respond effectively to any issues that arise.

If you're unsure whether the placement is in our area, find out which local authority it's in.


Comple the looked after children notification form and email it to

Once we receive your form, we'll use it to update the register of children in care from other local authorities. We also inform the virtual school and the LAC nurse team.

It's important that any changes to the child's placement or circumstances should be sent to the same email address. We will contact the placing authority every 6 months to confirm that the information on our records is still correct.

We've produced a guide to the resources available in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?