Skip to main content

Financial Care Plans

Skip to contents of guide

Specialist advisers

There are some regulated financial advisers who specialise in care funding advice. They are often called specialist care fee advisers.

Specialist care fee advisers can help you to think about your options when paying for your long-term care. They are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and they may be accredited members of the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA).

What your adviser needs to know

Your specialist care-fee adviser will ask you questions so they can understand your needs and circumstances. They will put any recommendations in writing.

They may ask you questions about:

  • your level of care needs and the attitude of your family
  • current and future care needs
  • your current income (including unearned income) and benefits
  • your marital status
  • the location of your family and friends
  • your assets, in particular shares or other investments liable for Capital Gains Tax
  • your property ownership
  • commitments that could reduce the value of your assets or your estate
  • your attitude towards risk
  • the potential cost of nursing care or the care home you have chosen

Cost of an adviser

The cost of an adviser depends on where you live, your situation and the level of advice you need. It's important to make sure you ask up-front how much their advice is going to cost, and whether it's a fixed fee, or based on the time they spend working for you.

Finding an adviser

We are not able to recommend financial advisers or give financial advice. You may already have an independent financial adviser or know someone who can recommend one to you.

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) can help you to find an adviser in your area who is qualified to offer independent advice and who specialises in financing long-term care and equity release.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?