Skip to content

Apply for a dropped kerb

If you want to cross the pavement to access your property, you must get a dropped kerb. You are not permitted to drive over a pavement which has not been constructed for that purpose.

We provide a quotation and construction service if you need to drop the kerb outside your property to access your land or driveway.


The cost of installing a standard typical drop kerb within a 1.8m width footway, 3 dropped kerbs and 2 taper kerbs will cost around £1,600. Each application is priced individually. 

The initial application and site inspection costs £120.

If your application is refused, you decide to use your own contractor or you do not to go ahead with the job, we cannot refund the fee.

Before you apply

Before applying, you should read about the restrictions of having a dropped kerb installed. You may also need planning permission if:

  • your driveway is on a main road
  • you are creating a new driveway by resurfacing a garden
  • your property is a listed building.

Apply for a dropped kerb

To apply, please use our dropped kerb application form so we can inspect the driveway.

What happens next

We will visit your property to establish if you're eligible for this service and provide a quote.

If you decide to arrange for your own contractor to carry out the work, they need to be a Street works accredited contractor. They will need to apply for a S171 licence to work on the highway.

Due to high demand, the current lead time for installation of a dropped kerb can be up to 12 weeks after you have accepted our quote and made the payment.

There are no results that match your criteria.