The history of Seafield Gardens
Seafield Gardens were originally a common which was used for turf cutting. We bought the site in 1906, creating a few paths cut into the heathland to afford a good view across the common.
A few years later a bowls green and tennis courts were opened, and a pavilion built in 1911. A formal park was laid out in 1929 and by 1936 there were 2 bowling greens and 14 tennis courts.
Three of the tennis courts became hard surface courts in 1956 and the rest were all used for other purposes, including a children’s playground.
The most interesting part of Seafield Gardens is the water tower which was built in 1898. This privately-owned Grade II listed building was originally built to supply drinking water to Southbourne-on-sea after the pumping station at Iford stopped working.