Redhill Park and Common
In 1802 the Christchurch Inclosure Act protected this area from all building development.
During the Napoleonic wars, a food shortage led the main farm landowners in the Stour Valley to sponsor an act of parliament that would finish common rights on the heaths of Bournemouth, so that food could be grown instead.
As Bournemouth grew and most of the small properties that needed turf for fuel were demolished, the land at Turbary Common became public parks.
Lots of conifers were planted on the heaths here in the 19th century. These famous pine trees are a reminder of the attempt to enclose common land. More trees were planted in the 1920s by the unemployed ex-servicemen who made up the British Legion.
The 1930s and 40s
In the 1930s, tennis courts, a playground and bowls green were added and in 1937 the name was changed from Redhill Common to Redhill Park. The pavilion was built the following year.
During World War 2 the park was used as a first aid station by air raid wardens and a water tank was sunk into the ground. After the war this was turned into a children’s paddling pool.
The 1950s to today
Two football pitches and another children’s playground were added. With increasing use and popularity, a parks department building was needed and finally built in the 1980s.
It was not until 1998 that the ecological value of the site was recognised, and a heathland regeneration project started to return the area to its original state.