Club premises licence
This certificate allows a qualifying club to supply alcohol. It can be granted to members clubs that comply with the specific conditions, for example, members rules, run by club committees and profits go to members. The law for members clubs has changed relatively little under the Licensing Act 2003 (Gov.uk)
and while there is no time limit on the duration of the certificate, it may be withdrawn, surrendered or suspended.
Definition of a qualifying club
A club is defined in section 61 of the Licensing Act as a premises that:
- has at least 25 members
- a person who is admitted for membership must wait at least 2 days from nomination or application before enjoying the privileges of membership
- that the club is established and conducted in good faith
- that alcohol is only supplied to members by or on behalf of the club.
If the club intends to supply alcohol to its members and guests the club must satisfy these additional conditions:
- the purchase and supply of alcohol should be managed by committee
- nobody should receive at the expense of the club a commission or percentage deriving from the purchase of alcohol
- nobody should receive a pecuniary benefit from the supply of alcohol by the club to its members or guests.
Qualifying clubs have a special status under the Licensing Act 2003 as clubs holding a certificate are exempt and therefore do not require a personal licence holder.
An operating schedule is required as part of a premises licence or club premises certificate application. Whilst the precise detail of each will be slightly different depending on the licensable activities i.e. the retail sale of alcohol, supply of alcohol by a club, provision of regulated entertainment, or the provision of late night refreshment, the key details on the operating schedule will be:
- when and which of the licensable activities are planned to take place at the premises
- the opening and closing times of the premises
- the steps the licence holder will take to promote the licensing objectives
How to apply
You can apply for a club premises licence by downloading our application for a new licence form or our application to vary a licence form and sending to: