Skip to content

How Council Tax Support is calculated

To calculate what your Council Tax Support payment will be, we compare your finances (income and capital) to your ‘applicable amount’. The ’applicable amount’ reflects the basic living needs of your household.
The payment is based on your age and circumstances, and we’ll use the following information:

the money you and your partner have coming in, including:

  • earnings
  • some benefits
  • Universal Credit award
  • Tax Credits pensions.
  • your savings (and your partner's savings), including:
    • money you have in your bank or building society accounts
    • assets (such as property or land)
    • stocks, shares and premium bonds.
  • your circumstances such as: 
    • your age
    • the number of people in your household and their ages
    • if you or any of your family are disabled.


A non-dependant is someone aged 18 or over who lives with you but is not a tenant or a lodger. For example, a grown-up son or daughter who lives at home.

In most cases, we’ll make a deduction from your Council Tax Support because we expect that your non-dependants will help towards housing costs, whether they do or not.
The amount we take will be decided based on their gross income.
Read more information in the 2021-22 non-dependant deductions leaflet. For the coming year, please refer to the 2022-23 non-dependant deductions leaflet. The information in this leaflet applies to all BCP residents.

How much will I get

You may get help with all or part of your Council Tax. There’s no set amount of Council Tax Support and what you get will depend on your age and circumstances.

Weekly eligible Council Tax

Council Tax is a daily charge. The eligible Council Tax charge we use to calculate your Council Tax Support is the annual Council Tax charge (after any discounts or exemptions), divided by 365 days (366 in a leap year) and multiplied by seven.
Most people who are of working age that make a claim for Council Tax Support will have to pay a minimum contribution towards their Council Tax, the amount will depend on your local council’s policy for where you live.

Council Tax Support Policy

Read more information about Council Tax Support in our Council Tax Reduction (Support) Policy.

The full Council Tax charge (100%) is used to work out a person’s Council Tax Support if they:

  • are of State Pension Credit age


  • receive War Disablement Pension, War Widows Pension or War Widows Disablement Pension


  • receive a Disability Premium, Enhanced Disability Premium, Severe Disability Premium, Disabled Child Premium, Carer Premium, or Support Component within their Employment and Support Allowance


  • receive Universal Credit, not a pensioner, in receipt of (or their partner is) an income or premium listed above or within Universal Credit, the Limited Capability for Work and Work-Related Activity Element (LCWRA Element).

Please contact us for any help you need with Council Tax Support.