Public consultation on sustainable travel improvements proposed around the Benellen Avenue area has now been launched and will be running until 6 May 2022.
The proposed walking and cycling improvements from Glenferness Avenue, along Leven Avenue and Benellen Avenue and across Branksome Wood Road, form part of Transforming Cities Fund’s 14km sustainable travel route linking Bournemouth town centre and Ferndown.
A previous consultation undertaken in spring 2021 on this route proposed removing vehicle access between Glenferness Avenue and Branksome Wood Road via a closure on Leven Avenue.
In response to public feedback, and the results of updated traffic and cycle count data collected in the area, BCP Council has decided to no longer progress with the closure and instead propose new designs which keep the road open but increase safety and improve the area for pedestrians and cyclists by encouraging lower vehicle speeds and discouraging through traffic’.
The new proposals include:
- Introduction of a 20mph speed limit zone along Leven Avenue, Walsford Road, Benellen Avenue, Benellen Road, Benellen Gardens and Leven Close
- ‘Raised speed tables’ (traffic calming measures), narrowing of junctions (kerb buildout) and new signage installed to indicate the 20mph zone boundary, at the junctions of:
- Glenferness Avenue and Leven Avenue
- Glenferness Avenue and Walsford Road
- Glenferness Avenue and Benellen Road
- Branksome Wood Road and Benellen Avenue
- Branksome Wood Road and Benellen Garden
- Branksome Wood Road and Leven Avenue
- Raised junctions installed at Leven Avenue / Walsford Road / Benellen Avenue, and Benellen Avenue / Benellen Road
- Raised speed tables installed along Leven Avenue
Details of the new proposals including maps and plans and a feedback survey to encourage interested people to have their say are available here: Benellen Avenue Consultation
A consultation drop-in event will be held on Tuesday 5 April at Bournemouth University for the community to come along and learn more about the new proposals, meet the project team and give feedback on the design.
Details for the event:
- Date: Tuesday 5th April 2022
- Time: 3.30pm- 7.30pm
- Location: Room 104, 1st Floor Fusion Building, Bournemouth University (Talbot Campus), BH12 5BB
Reports summarising the results of the previous consultation and responses to issues raised can be found here.